Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Feb 17 and Oct 7

February 17

O God, I asked for strength that I might achieve;
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for help that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.

I asked for riches that I might be happy;
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for but everything I hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among all men most richly blessed.

- A Confederate Soldier -

October 7
O LORD, take us into Thy care and keeping;
lest our cruel enemy gain the advantage over us.
We fight under Thy banner, that our enemy may know that our confidence is
in Thy aid, in Thy strength and wisdom.

Where Thou art,
O LORD is the land of lierty, and of everlasting blessedness.
Give quietness to our minds, and grant that we may have some
taste of the everlasting joys of Thy heavenly kingdom;
whereby those worldly things which
we so earnestly seek and so eagerly embrace shall seem loathsome and defiled.
So shall we refuse them as bitter and worthless things,
and fervently desire the blessedness of Thy heavenly kingdom,
where there are pleasures for evermore.
And unto Thee, LORD Jesus, be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

- Thomas Cranmer -


0 comments: